Dealer Information Pack
Halstead Antiques Centre is a family run antiques & collectables business situated in the beautiful Townsford Mill building in Halstead, North Essex. 2014 was our 30th anniversary year.
Townsford Mill, which straddles the River Colne, dates back to 1740 and was originally a water powered mill, but eventually gave way to steam power. It was one of the first Courtauld's mills and produced the silk for Queen Victoria's mourning gowns. Surprisingly, the mill was still actively producing woven products right up until 1982. In 1985 it became an antiques centre. It now houses 75 antiques & collectables dealers showing their wares in 5000 sq.ft spread over two floors of the mill. Townsford Mill is located at the bottom of Halstead's main shopping street, a traditional style High Street with many interesting shops.
Some episodes of the TV programme Lovejoy were filmed at the mill in the 1980’s. More recently both BBC2 and ITV1 have filmed at the centre and we are regularly visited by the Antiques Road Trip team.
The ground floor of the mill houses Dickens Restaurant and Cafe Bar.
The Display Areas
The upper two floors of Townsford Mill are divided by stud partition walls into 30 separate open plan display floor areas. They vary in size from 50 sq.ft. up to 240 sq.ft. Some units are shared by two dealers, making it more affordable for those requiring just a small amount of floor space. In addition to the floor space units, there are 98 display cabinets. The cabinets are 120cm wide x 80cm tall x 30cm deep and normally have one or two full width glass shelves in them. Each cabinet is individually lit with its own fluorescent tube. The cabinets have sliding glass doors which can be locked. There are also one or two smaller cabinets dotted around the centre.
The front and back staircases are occupied by dealers selling paintings and prints.
Wide carpeted walkways run down the centre of both floors.